We extend a warm welcome to the latest member of
the Watney Mann group, Beverley Brothers Limited of Wakefield, Yorkshire. The
Beverley family began brewing at the Eagle Brewery in the middle of the
last century and, when the firm celebrated its centenary in 1961, descendants
of the original founders were well represented on the board. Mr Frank
Beverley, the chairman, was grandson of Christopher Lodge Beverley, one of the
original brothers; Mr Anthony Beverley, another director, was grandson of the
other brother, Anthony Taylor Beverley, and the third Beverley director was Mr
Christopher Beverley. A reporter on the Yorkshire Evening News, writing
at the time, described the company as having `long been known as a family
concern, independent and hardworking'.
The small brewing business was started by the Beverley Brothers in premises in
Harrison Street, Wakefield, in 1861 Construction of the Eagle
Brewery began in April of the same year and the plant was working by October.
The Company opened its first public house, The Newmarket, in New Street,
Wakefield, in 1869.
Twenty-seven years after the firm of Beverley Brothers was founded, it became
a limited company, and in 1952 merged with John Baxter Ltd, a Lancashire
brewery whose offices and store are still maintained, although brewing is no
longer carried on there. Over the years the staff increased to over 150 and the
company now supplies 173 public houses and off-licences in
Yorkshire, Lancashire and on Teesside. They are justly proud of the only Gold
Medal awarded at the Brewer's Exhibition in I960.
The managing director of Beverleys, Mr J.
Mortimer, from now on will be closely concerned with the co-ordination
of the activities of Beverleys and those of Wilsons Brewery. He will,
with Mr W. Nash, secretary of Beverleys, and Mr S. H. Threadgill, joint
managing director of Wilsons, serve on a committee for this purpose
under the chairmanship of Mr L. T. King, chairman of Wilsons. Mr Mortimer, who
has been with Beverleys for thirty-one years, became company secretary
in 1938. A member of the Territorial Army, he served in the Royal
Artillery during the second world war and as staff captain in Delhi under
Earl Mountbatten of Burma. After the war he returned to the Eagle Brewery
as company secretary and was appointed a director in 1958. In 1961 he
became general manager and director, and in 1965 was appointed managing
director. He is a member of the local Hospital Management Committee and was
President of the local Chamber of Commerce for three years. Mr Mortimer
is interested in gardening and has recently taken up golf.
Also see a preserved Beverleys
Leyland Boxer dray.(external site)
to Lost Brewers section of Wakefield CAMRA website
Wakefield CAMRA Homepage